Cat Health

Poisonous Plants !!!

Many house plants are poisonous to cats.  The
following is a
partial list of plants that are toxic to
your cat:

Amaryllis (Amaryllis sp.)
Autumn Crocus (Colchicum autumnale)
Azaleas and Rhododendrons   (Rhododendron
Castor Bean (Ricinus communis)
Chrysanthemum (Chrysanthemum sp.)
Cyclamen (Cyclamen sp.)
English Ivy (Hedera helix)
Kalanchoe (Kalanchoe sp.)
Lilies (Lilium sp.)
Marijuana (Cannabis sativa)
Oleander (Nerium oleander)
Peace Lily (Spathiphyllum sp.)
Pothos (Epipremnum aureum)
Sago Palm (Cycas revoluta)
Spanish thyme (Coleus ampoinicus)
Tulip and Narcissus bulbs (Tulipa and Narcissus
Yew (Taxus sp.)

You can also visit the Pet Poison Helpline for their Top 10 Plants Poisonous to Pets, and the
ASPCA for their extensive list of Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants.

Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-213-6680.

What to Watch For:
Since many plants are irritants, especially for the gastrointestinal tract, most symptoms
seen will be the result of irritation or inflammation, such as redness, swelling, or itchiness of
the skin or mouth.

If the toxic principle directly affects a particular organ, the symptoms seen will be related to
that organ. For example:

Difficulty breathing (if the airways are affected)
Drooling or difficulty swallowing (if the mouth, throat, or esophagus is affected)
Vomiting (if the stomach or intestines are affected)
Diarrhea (if the intestines or colon are affected)
Excessive drinking and urinating (if the kidneys are affected)
Fast, slow, or irregular heart beat (if the heart is affected)

Immediate Care:

If you see your cat eating a plant and you are uncertain if it is poisonous, or if you suspect
your cat ate such a plant within the past 1 to 2 hours, you can do the following before you
take him to your veterinarian:

Remove any plant material from the hair and skin.
If it necessary, you can wash the cat with warm water and a little non-irritating dish soap.
The identity of the plant is very important for determining treatment. If you don’t know what
kind of plant it is and you can bring it with you, do so. Veterinarians don’t receive much
training in plant identification, but every effort needs to be made to identify the plant. If your
cat has vomited at all, try to collect some it for the doctor.

Call the Pet Poison Helpline at 1-855-213-6680.

Veterinary Care:

The best diagnosis is made by identifying the plant. Your veterinarian will give your cat a
physical exam, and order such tests as necessary to determine the overall health of your
cat. These tests are especially necessary if the plant is known to target specific organs.

Once your cat has vomited, your veterinarian may give him activated charcoal to absorb any
of the toxic principle that may be in the gut. Your vet may administer medication like
sucralfate, which protects the damaged areas of the stomach.

Supportive care, such as intravenous fluids or anti-inflammatory medication will be used as
needed, especially if the gastrointestinal tract is severely affected.

Living and Management:
Some plants are fatal for cats when ingested, regardless of how quickly and excellent the
care may be. This is usually true of lilies. Other plants may cause enough damage that
prolonged aftercare in the form of medication or special diet is needed. Be sure to follow
your veterinarian’s instructions.

Take whatever steps you can to protect your cat from exposure to poisonous plants. This
includes removing such plants from your home and yard.  For additional important
information see  
Pet MD


Do Not Feed Your
Cat the Following !!!

Alcoholic beverages
Chocolate (all forms)
Coffee (all forms)
Fatty foods
Macadamia nuts
Moldy or spoiled foods
Onions, onion powder
Raisins and grapes
Yeast dough
Products sweetened with xylitol
Warm Weather Hazards

Animal toxins—toads, insects, spiders,   snakes and scorpions
Blue-green algae in ponds
Citronella candles
Cocoa mulch
Compost piles Fertilizers
Flea products
Outdoor plants and plant bulbs
Swimming-pool treatment supplies
Fly baits containing methomyl
Slug and snail baits containing metaldehyde


Common examples of human medications that can be potentially
lethal to pets, even in small doses, include:

Pain killers
Cold medicines
Anti-cancer drugs
Diet Pills
Cold Weather Hazards

Liquid potpourri
Ice melting products
Rat and mouse bait

Common Household Hazards

Dryers / Washing Machines /  Dishwashers /
Refrigerators / Freezers
Fabric softener sheets
Post-1982 pennies (due to high concentration of

Holiday Hazards

Christmas tree water (may contain fertilizers and
bacteria, which, if ingested, can upset the
Electrical cords
Ribbons or tinsel (can become lodged in the
intestines and cause intestinal obstruction—
most often occurs with kittens!)
Glass ornaments

This page is dedicated to the
loving memories of
and Liberty
especially kittens, these items may
CAUTION! cause intestinal

Rubber Bands
Other stringy things